Tuesday, November 6, 2012

"Super Hospital", not only possible but needed!


 

 

November 4, 2012,  

Jorge Palacios

California Department of Public Health (CDPH-CHCQ-HAI)

Re: "Database of Best Practices for the Prevention of Healthcare Associated infections"

Dear Mr. Palacious,

 

 Once again allow me to say “thank you” to you and the entire staff at the CDPH for the effort you put forward concerning patient safety.  My advocacy for the Prevention of Healthcare Associated Infections(HAI) in our Veteran’s Hospitals has led me to the good work of the CareFusion Foundation which, in my opinion, would further support the development of some form of “Database of Best Practices for the Prevention of HAI”.

 In the past I have been critical of private support for “innovative” development due to what appeared to me to be abandonment of the attempt to improve the culture currently residing in our medical system, without a quality culture, little will be gained regardless of hardware. But to counter my misguided critique of the effort, I do support the creation of a “super hospital”, HAI free from the ground up, perhaps even just a virtual version, just like most physical items are developed in industry, constantly being improved in a collaboration, perhaps worldwide, providing further input to the database of best practices for the prevention of HAI, also known as “Super Hospital”! 

 The CareFusion Foundation grant, I like it because the first one on board, Dr. Carrico, clearly identified the existence of “best practice sharing as one of the three pillars to reduce preventable infections”!


 What I do not like is that it is another redundant effort to develop “best practices”. Little do I know about the selection criteria but as with tradition, the money will go where it is needed the most, poorly performing facilities with the intent to improve their statistics to socially acceptable levels. The best practices already exist, the CDPH has a few of them and I did announce that they are available via the freedom of information act, why, the CDPH is the only vehicle with the potential to run a true database available to all, has access to the UC medical system and in possession of a state of the art surveillance system for real-time feedback.       

 At some point support is needed to support the top healthcare facilities that have a proven and consistent HAI prevention program and get them to the next level, actually preventing HAI, facility wide. Much like the automobile, to get the next few extra miles per gallon will take something like the development of a twelve speed transmission, perhaps a “super hospital” is not that far out of the box as you might think, Paul Revere may well save us all again!

 Once again thank you for your valuable time and patience as I develop my advocacy in support of our Veteran’s facilities, the CDPH serves a critical role in saving the lives of those who have given so much for the great country we live!
 

 
Sincerely,

Michael H .Slavinski                                  http://h-a-i-5.blogspot.com/

 

 

Ps: I think I mentioned before that I am learning what the locals do so I have something to say as we communicate with our kid. This is not a tourist part of the country and I am going to give it a PG-13 rating, “you will figure it out”!


If you are interested in attending in person below is the trip up there, note, you go from poverty to the stone age in a few miles, once you get to Mole Park you still have another nine hours to get to where out kid is, I guess somebody figure out our kid was raised by wolves so they sent her up to paradise, she claims the video is down in the ‘Posch Corps”! “hai-five” and “have fun”!

 

 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment