Monday, July 9, 2012

1 for the money+2 for the show="C" for a grade?


July 9, 2012

Hello, election time, this is the time when us advocates find something to keep us busy,  parades, trips to other parts of the earth! Rather than taking a spelling class I went to work expanding my body of knowledge on the web. To date I have avoided the technical aspects of Hospital Associated Infections, (HAI), that I wish to leave to the professionals, please “HELP ME”!

O.K. first movie, has it all, cool gadgets, sound plan, hey, “I’m in, here we go”!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrpm1kSSyYw&feature=related

(KPBS is owned by San Deigo State University)

Too good to be true, you be the judge, perhaps send me your comments!


Like I said, most of what I have read and seen over the past year in all forms of media concerning HAI seems to be “spin”, a reaction to a former action, in my opinion! What does not work does not interest me, I just do not have time for it, I would like to see my advocacy focous on supporting sustainable improvements.
 In all honesty, in this example there are more than likely time line issues, I do remember in boot camp being told that "your unit is only as strong as your weakest member" so perhaps this event is important for my advocacy to develop. If there were anything I could do to help the good people working at Grossmont Hospital I would and so wou the rest of you, I am pretty sure of that! 

Ok, as an advocate for the eradication of HAI in our Veteran’s hospitals I would like to hear what the debate is in the actual H.A.I. professional community. First action, punch in HAI on Linked In, zero, no problem, that was yesterday, take your pick:

H.A.I.-U.S.A.     (Locked, please, no headhunters)


H.A.I.-CANUK    (Locked, please, no headhunters)


HAI-PROFESSIONAL  (open to all)


My advocacy for the eradication of HAI in our Veteran’s Hospitals is deeply rooted in the following article, and the projection of the “can do” attitude from the top down, it inspired me to get out of my chair and do something, our Veterans deserve nothing less, in my opinion! The "low tech" improvement in efficiencies reminds me of 1980's Japan to Detroit's amazement, "kaizen", now a standard in Detroit as well!


One thing that I have learned is that my advocacy will be most effective by “supporting those who help others”, and that is you, the HAI professional, correct me if I am wrong, the HAI professional is all of you, all the way up to the “hai-five”!

“hai-five”

Michael Slavinski




ps: I did do some research early on, Paul Revere, that was about as cool as it gets, I am not ruling out building a prototype HAI free hospital, complete with copper lined heating, a.c., ventilation system, tables, beds, through in bunny suits and elevated pressure scrubed air, but right now, perhaps we just need to wash our hands and follow documented paths to a positive outcome! 
 For those of you who have not figured it out yet, send me your "HAI bucket list" or ideas that are too far out there to risk your income on or perhaps a project you could use some support on, I will check it out and send it to the Oval Office and the rest of my "observers" , that is the fun part of "pro-bono", the pay is guarenteed, I can't be fired or traded, I kind of like this "advocate" stuff! Here in our humble shop our suggestion system is called "kaizen".

Today I would like to see the first "V.A.P. Free" facility recognized and certified, just pick one, there are several canadates!





The hard drive in my laptop crashed about two weeks ago, since I have been procastanating for the past year getting my 50+ checkup (colonoscopy) it gave me the idea to go with Alienware, it is the new M18xR2. Our CAM system is not Mac friendly and through the use of baling wire and duct tape I kept my old HP going for six years! It is actually assembled in Florida and no, I have no time for games but since most of my "observers" are programmers I just thought I would give a plug for the home team! The box is heavy, I will bet the graphics card weighs more than my wife's I pad!
 Just having 'fun"!

No comments:

Post a Comment